[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] CMFActionIcons: permissions

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Tue Apr 27 12:31:11 EDT 2004

Hi!

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Permissions, like exceptions, events, and interfaces, are part of the
> "public API" of a product, and deserve to be highlighted.
>
> I actually prefer to have each product have its own 'permissions.py'
> module, which either imports more generic permissions from elsewhere
> (AccessControl.Permissions, CMFCore.{CMFCoreP,p}ermissions), or else
> declares any new ones needed.

If this is the new policy I'm fine with 'permissions.py'. But 'Manage
Site' isn't a good name for a new permission. If we need a new one it
should be called something like 'Manage action icons'. Or we should
import the more generic ManagePortal from CMFCore.

> This puts the naming of the permissions
> (but not the string values!) under control of the product author.

I can't see why this should be useful. Using different names in CMFCore,
CMFDefault, CMFCalendar, ... for the same permission just leads to
confusion.

> While we are at it, why don't we move the ones in CMFCore to a
> 'permissions.py' module, and leave behind the 'CMFCorePermissions.py'
> module for backward compatibility.

+0 for the new policy

But if the policy is changed, each CMF package should have its own
'permissions.py', not just CMFCore and CMFActionIcons.

Cheers,
	Yuppie