[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] CMFActionIcons: permissions

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Tue Apr 27 15:19:54 EDT 2004

yuppie wrote:

> Tres Seaver wrote:
>
>> Permissions, like exceptions, events, and interfaces, are part of the
>> "public API" of a product, and deserve to be highlighted.
>>
>> I actually prefer to have each product have its own 'permissions.py'
>> module, which either imports more generic permissions from elsewhere
>> (AccessControl.Permissions, CMFCore.{CMFCoreP,p}ermissions), or else
>> declares any new ones needed.
>

> If this is the new policy I'm fine with 'permissions.py'. But 'Manage
> Site' isn't a good name for a new permission. If we need a new one it
> should be called something like 'Manage action icons'. Or we should
> import the more generic ManagePortal from CMFCore.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear:  I don't mind importing it from
CMFCore;  I want the module there to make the fact of the import
explicit.  Reusing ManagePortal seems like the Right Thing to me, too.

>> This puts the naming of the permissions (but not the string values!)
>> under control of the product author.
>

> I can't see why this should be useful. Using different names in CMFCore,
> CMFDefault, CMFCalendar, ... for the same permission just leads to
> confusion.

The same could be said of any "stylistic" difference;  the important
thing about the convention is that it makes the author's intention (to
reuse permissions, or not) clear (and therefore debateable ;)

>> While we are at it, why don't we move the ones in CMFCore to a
>> 'permissions.py' module, and leave behind the 'CMFCorePermissions.py'
>> module for backward compatibility.
>
> +0 for the new policy
>
> But if the policy is changed, each CMF package should have its own
> 'permissions.py', not just CMFCore and CMFActionIcons.

+1;  that was in fact what I meant to propose.  I find the widespread
import ('from Products.CMFCore.CMFCorePermissions import ...') sprinkled
all over creation to be one of our more notable uglinesses.

Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com