[Plone-developers] Re: [Zope-CMF] Re: CMFUid isn't generating real uids

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Mon Aug 16 08:05:09 EDT 2004

yuppie wrote:
> Hi!
>

> robert rottermann wrote:
>
>> I think UUID should be default. If it is overkill in a given case,
>> then it should be replaced.
>> But I never want to run the risk to hit duplicate UID's when I import
>> some documents from one Data.fs into an other.
>

> Unless you make sure the source of your import including all copies is
> destroyed after the import, importing is just a special way of copying.
>
> If your application doesn't generate new UIDs on import of single
> content items, it is broken with and without UUIDs.
>
> Using UUIDs, you even have to generate new UUIDs if you copy (import) a
> complete site.

Depends on your use case.
I have been using UUID's to uniquely identfy a document. Across copies.
So the original and the copy both point to the same "piece of real world"
If you "only" want to make sure there is no Zope/CMF/Whatsoever object
with the same UID you are right.

> Note that I'm not against adding an UUID generator to the CMF. The
> GeneratorTool could be made configurable, allowing to select different
> generators.

I agree. I just see no advantage *NOT* to generate UUID's as default.

Robert