[Zope-CMF] Re: Tale of Four Web Sites

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Tue Feb 17 16:03:30 EST 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:25:06 +1000, Sergey Volobuev <zope at phpv.khv.ru>
wrote:

>> Site 4: 170Kbytes, three tabs, left and right columns, one logo,
>> close to ⌠out of the box■, my site.
>>
> This looks exactly as Plone 2.0 :)  It seems like Plone authors switched
> to adsl from dialup before making Plone 2 :) No one cares about download
> size anymore

We do, just not during the development process, when it's easily fixed
later.

> Look at this (this is files from one of Plone 2 betas, current sizes may
> differ):

Thanks for the size summary, I'm looking into this tonight.

> Throw away inplace calendar (the one used to set effective/expiration
> dates) and you get 30K+ of savings. No one uses it anyway.

The plan is to only call it on the pages that involve the calendar.

> Finally, throw away colophon buttons (leave plone.org button only) and
> you will get another 1K :))

Hehe.

> And something need to be done with that huge css file... Any ideas?

Enable mod_gzip on your server. :)

There's quite a lot of size optimizations that you can do, but they aren't
a priority for 2.0. In 2.1 and later releases, we will start fixing this.

The thing that annoys me the most right now is something that is hard to
fix - TAL inserts a lot of whitespace every time it does a tal:condition.
This is why there is so much whitespace in the calendar.

  Alexander Limi   ·   Interaction Architect   ·   Plone Solutions

  Development · Training · Support · http://www.plonesolutions.com

  Plone Co-Founder   ·   http://plone.org   ·   Connecting Content

      高联合  ·  アレクサンダー リミ  ·  이미짱  ·  อเล็กซานเดอร์ ลีม