[Zope-CMF] Tale of Four Web Sites

Sergey Volobuev zope at phpv.khv.ru
Fri Feb 20 09:24:27 EST 2004

> what about simply enabled mod_gzip inside of Zope or using
> mod_gzip/deflate on apache?

mod_gizp is not a panacea. Content gzipping/deflating is turned off in
many-many cases. AFAIK, all proxies, including squid, requests
uncompressed documents. So if you sitting behind a proxy, you can't get
any benefit from enabled mod_gzip. And i'm almost sure that this works
in the same way if you use Squid (and possible Apache) as a Zope
front-end. Also, as i remember, Apache's mod_gzip turns itself off in
many cases (some browsers have bugs in decompressor implementation,
etc). I think this is covered in more details in mod_gzip docs.

Some time ago i was playing with Apache's mod_gzip on one of my
plain-html (non-zope) sites. Both original and gzipped sizes was written
to logs. And the overall benefit was rather tiny - a few percent, as i
remember.