[Zope-CMF] Re: Allowed content types (CMF 1.5 - Roadmap)

Marc Lindahl marc at bowery.com
Wed Mar 17 01:40:23 EST 2004

On Monday, March 15, 2004, at 06:16  AM, yuppie wrote:

> Hi!

>>> Well, I think that the whole issue becomes irrelevent when Plone
>>> starts
>>> using ATContentTypes. If ATContentTypes defines add/remove/whatever
>>> permissions for each content type then we're done. Tiran?
>> Yes, I certainly saw this as an Archetypes issue rather than a CMF
>> issue.
>> It's a little bit tricky to get Archetypes to give you a separate add
>> permission for each content type, making that easy is probably the
>> way to
>> go.
>
> Portal Types are a very basic concept in CMF. The question is: Do you
> want to allow Plone users to define different Portal Types for one
> content class?
>
> If no:
> It doesn't matter if you define the permissions in the class or in the
> Types Tool. In fact it would be easier to do it in Archetypes.
>
> If yes:
> The Types Tool is the natural place for defining the permissions
> because Portal Types are defined in the Types Tool.
>
> I can't see CMF is moving away from Portal Types.

I agree - it seems like the place (and it's listed in cmf's TO-DO...)
in fact see my recent thread concerning portal_type and AT on the
plone-developer's list - at least the AT 1_2 branch has some serious
confusion of class name, portal_type, and meta_type and it needs to be
cleaned up before being relied on.  For example, you can't make a drop
in replacement for "News Item", because of the space!