[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] exceptions (small post-permissiongeddon proposal)

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Mon May 3 09:45:17 EDT 2004

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 12:52:38PM +0200, yuppie wrote:

> | 1.) CMFCoreExceptions.py was never released. While it is nice to warn
> | people using cvs HEAD that this module was renamed, I'd like to remove
> | it completely before CMF 1.5 beta is released.
> |
> | 2.) Some of the exceptions defined in CMFCore/exceptions.py are only
> | used in CMFDefault or packages depending on CMFDefault. I'd like to move
> | these exceptions to CMFDefault.
> |
> | 3.) Some exceptions like DiscussionNotAllowed, MetadataError or defined
> | in the related module. I'd like to move them into exceptions.py.
> |

> | If there are no objections or better ideas I'll make these changes in
> | cvs HEAD.
>
> -1 for #2, as I think that a thirdy party product expected to replace
> CMFDefault may want to reuse the same exceptions to keep as much
> compatibility as possible and avoid a dependency on CMFDefault.

The only one I see which is CMFDefault-specific is IllegalHTML;  nothing
in the core knows raises or catches it, nor should.  Any product which
*wants* to know about this exception depends on CMFDefault anyway;  it
is only interesting if you are using / deriving from Document.  +1 for
moving it to CMFDefault.exceptions.

OTOH, EditingConfilic is a *much* more "framework-ish" exception, which
would reasonably be used by multiple products.  -1 for moving it out of
CMFCore.exceptoins.

Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com