[Zope-CMF] Re: modifying TypeInformation's properties

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Mon Sep 6 12:35:21 EDT 2004

> >>In general, I'd like to see a discussion about questions like these:
> >>
> >>- Do we need more or less configuration options in the type info
> >>objects? See <http://collector.zope.org/CMF/33> for a proposal to remove
> >>"allow discussion" configuration from type infos.
> >

> > #33 specifically talks about UI, not where the info is stored.
> > I'm not aware of anyone apart from you advocating moving that info
> > somewhere else from the TI.
>
> I'm not advocating anything. I'm just asking questions.
>
> The checked in change adds an UI for configuring arbitrary properties.
> That's contrary to the goals of <http://collector.zope.org/CMF/33>.

We'd want Tres's opinion on that. Tres, could you expand a bit on what
exactly you mean by #33 ? I see it only as a discussion-specific UI
problem. To me the information still should be stored in the TI, and
available in its list of properties.

> If products use additional properties, other products have to care about
> providing them.
>
> So if you write a content type, you have to add properties like
>
>    cps_display_as_document_in_listing
>    cps_is_searchable
>    cps_this
>    cps_that
>    plone_is_folderish
>    plone_is_searchable
>    plone_that
>    cmf_default_this
>
> That bloats the 'Properties' tab.

Well that tab is only important for CMF developers or site configurators
anyway, and it centralizes information. I hardly see it as bloat.

> Adding new properties TTW is error prone: You might type names wrong;
> nothing helps you to keep the TI objects in sync; ...

Of course and in 99% of cases an installer would do it.

> All the known issues with the Properties machinery. I believe there was
> a good reason why the SimpleItemWithProperties class was added to CMF.

For me SimpleItemWithProperties is nice when you *know* you don't want
to change the schema properties. IMHO that's not the case for
TypeInformation.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59  http://nuxeo.com  mailto:fg at nuxeo.com