[Zope-CMF] Re: modifying TypeInformation's properties

Lennart Regebro regebro at nuxeo.com
Mon Sep 6 12:53:00 EDT 2004

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> We'd want Tres's opinion on that. Tres, could you expand a bit on what
> exactly you mean by #33 ? I see it only as a discussion-specific UI
> problem. To me the information still should be stored in the TI, and
> available in its list of properties.

I actually think it generally makes more sense asking a tool about
types, than asking types about the tool. A type, like portal boxes,
would never need to be discussible. Why should it then know things about
  discussions? (Although changing that breaks backwards compatibility,
but that is specific to this issue). However, centralization is also a
perfectly good argument, and makes for  easier management, configuration
and import and export.

So, as often, there is no One True Way.

In any case, I don't see it as a problem to allow modifications of the
properties on types. It sure beats having to make a python script that
lists a set of types because you want to filter types in some skin for
one reason or another, which  I have seen several of our customers do.
Maybe there is a better way, by having a centralized property schema
that can be modified. It's not too hard to do.

[ Or we can put CPSSchemas into CMFCore and use schemas for type
information. Hehe. ;) ]

//Lennart