[Zope-CMF] Re: CMF 1.5 + Breaking products / Migration from 1.4

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Mar 23 13:17:56 EST 2005

Hi David!

David Pratt wrote:
> I have recently upgraded my zope to 2.7.5 and am attempting to work
> with the HEAD of CMF from CVS.  I really want to work with this because
> the features are really excellent and this is the future - not the 1.4
> branch.  The trouble I am having is with about 8 or 10 products that I
> use.  I was able to get some of my own working again and some others
> like CMFQuickInstaller that broke mostly due to the change from
> CMFCore.CMFCorePermissions to CMFCore.permissons but I still have a
> ways to go.  The latest tracebacks on a couple of other Products I am
> having trouble with.  Maybe part of my problem is I should be tracking
> down CVS versions of some of the products too as opposed to latest
> releases.

You might get more feedback if you would name the other products as well.

> Has anyone heard of whether people are working to have the more widely
> used products fixed to work in CMF 1.5 + or is the user base just so
> large on the 1.4 branch that there is likely to be little or no
> movement until Plone is working on 1.5 (if they move in this
> direction).  If not, I am wondering if some of the patched products
> that people are fixing to work with 1.5 could be put somewhere (even
> just temporarily until the Products developers catch up) so others can
> benefit without all the breakage and/or a list of products compatible
> with CMF 1.5 put together so people know what is going to happen if
> they choose to migrate.

Please don't mix up CMF 1.5 and HEAD (CMF-1.5+). CMF 1.5 has a lot of
backwards compatibility code. The deprecation warnings in CMF 1.5
include recommendations for updating the code.

http://zopewiki.org/ might be a good place to compile compatibility infos.

Bug reports or even patches might help Product developers to catch up.

> CMFFormController:
>   File  "/usr/local/zope/instance1/Products/CMFFormController/
> FSControllerPythonScript.py", line 27, in ?
>     from Products.CMFCore.DirectoryView import registerFileExtension,
> registerMetaType, expandpath
> ImportError: cannot import name expandpath
>
> Formulator:
>   File "/usr/local/zope/instance1/Products/Formulator/FSForm.py", line
> 10, in ?
>     from Products.CMFCore.DirectoryView import registerFileExtension,\
> ImportError: cannot import name expandpath

The CMF 1.5 deprecation warning would give you this hint:
"expandpath() doesn't belong to DirectoryView anymore and will be
removed from that module in CMF 1.6. Please import expandpath from
the utils module."

Cheers,

	Yuppie