[Zope-CMF] Re: CMF roadmap update

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Tue Apr 25 10:51:34 EDT 2006

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

>>> At least I have found what the problem with CMFUid is, and it is
>>> mostly a misunderstanding how it is supposed to work. Mea culpa. I'm
>>> still left with the one failing unit test on the events branch, though.
>>
>> Having such an unknown and unmaintained piece of code in the core of
>> the cmf scares me.
>>
>> How would people feel about deprecating it for 2.1 and removing it in
>> 2.3 if no-one steps up who wants it?
>
> Well, I have my own opinion about that, but the course of action depends
> mostly on those people who are using it. No one seems to, judged by the
> complete silence.

Grégoire Weber is the one that coded it and included it.

> As I have found, it is only used in one specific situations: If you
> create a Favorite pointing to a piece of content, then that piece gets
> tagged with a UID, and the UID identifies the content piece for the
> Favorite. So you can copy/paste/whatever the content and the Favorite
> still knows how to find it.

Given that it's unmaintained, that Plone has its own UID tool, that CPS does
it differently, I'm for deprecating it quickly and slating it for removal
earlier than the usual 1 year.

I've also alreay pointed out the overengineering of having 3 tools for a
simple UID management.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com