[Zope-CMF] Re: DirectoryView, GenericSetup/skins, CMF 2.1

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Jul 13 16:13:17 EDT 2006

Rocky Burt wrote at 2006-7-9 10:11 -0230:
>If we're changing how the keys look, why not simply use full package
>names in front with relative paths after the first slash (although I
>might prefer a colon or something in place of the first slash).
>
>So the new keys would be:
>  "Products.MyProduct/skins/my_skin"
>  "some.long.package/skins/my_skin"
>
>No need to make exception for Products in my opinion.  And the retrieval
>logic would convert the first portion (before the first slash, or as I
>mentioned earlier, perhaps a colon) into an absolute path based on the
>actual package filesystem location.

We have a Zope version where package resources (such as skins)
can come together with the package from a zip archive
(this is a function similar to the newer "egg" Python function).
We identify such resources via "pypackage" urls which have the form

   pypackage:package/path

Here "package" is the full package path (e.g. "path.to.some.package").

This is very similar to your proposal.

I think, when we change something, we should look for a way
that could survive eggification (planned for Zope 2.11).

Something along your proposal might be a very good candidate!

--
Dieter