[Zope-CMF] Re: Delete trouble

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Mar 26 12:51:21 EDT 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> The UniqueIDAnnotationTool should probably do a *query*Utility (which
>> will return None in case the utility can't be found) and simply not do
>> anything in such a case. The canonical way of expressing such
>> fail-safe routines is therefore:
>>
>>    component = query{Utility|Adapter|MultiAdapter}(...)
>>    if component is not None:
>
> I agree, except I think there could potentially be lots of places where
> this could be happening.

Indeed.

> In the general case, it's probably safe for
> that code to assume the utility is there, and treat it as an error if
> it's not,

I disagree. Componentized code gains maximum reusability if it assumes
as little as possible about the setup and other components, other than
what interfaces promise (defensive programming). I bet that a lot of
places where the UniqueIDAnnotationTool is looked up, it's all about
updating the some information and if the tool ain't there, then I think
it's safe to simply skip that step. Code that directly needs the
UniqueIDAnnotationTool to do its job will have to assume that it can get
the utility, but all other code shouldn't have to.

> but during site deletion, it is probably at the mercy of the
> order of deletions. At least that's my guess.

It might be at the mercy of event subscriber execution order, but it's
really the site traversal issue I think:

> It *could* also be a site manager/traversal issue, I guess - I'm one
> level above the Plone site when I delete this, so possibly it's not
> finding the right site manager? Not sure how that works...\

*sigh* Chapter XYZ in my book explains the process :). Whenever you
traverse over a site, its site manager becomes the active component
registry. So if you haven't traversed over that site yet, the utilities
in that site won't be found. It's that simple.