[Zope-CMF] Re: License file question

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Thu May 29 05:10:11 EDT 2008

Raphael Ritz, on 2008-05-29:
> Not sure whether that's following best practice but here is
> how paster/zopeskel generate this at the moment (this is taken
> from a custom add-on I'm currently working on):
>
> ritz at ritz-laptop:~/dev/paster/incf.applications/trunk$ ls
> docs  incf  incf.applications.egg-info  README.txt  setup.cfg  setup.py
>
> ritz at ritz-laptop:~/dev/paster/incf.applications/trunk$ ls docs
> HISTORY.txt  INSTALL.txt  LICENSE.GPL  LICENSE.txt
>
> How do others handle this?

I can understand putting the HISTORY in the toplevel docs/ directory
of a package.  But personally I like having it inside the "main"
folder, so in your example above it would be
incf.applications/incf/applications/HISTORY.txt

That way when changing a file in the main directory and you want to
change the history you do not need to descend three directories and go
to docs/ to change that.

And in bundles with svn externals the top level docs/ directory is not
even visible because you only include the main folder.  So you miss
the history file (and the README.txt if you keep that in docs/ as
well).

I remember that at least once I changed something in a plone package
inside a bundle, Wichert asked me to update the history file and I
ended up wrongly updating the history file of CMFPlone because I never
even saw the real history file belonging to that package. :-)

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/