[Zope-CMF] [dev] add view traversal

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Sep 15 14:08:21 EDT 2008

yuppie-4 wrote:

> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> yuppie-4 wrote:

>>> Could you live with a) as well if we use a different hook than
>>> IPublishTraverse?
>>>

>> I really think it would be a very big mistake to have a view called +
>> that
>> was not an IAdding view. Plone, at least, would have to forcibly disable
>> such a thing, and it'd be very confusing to people who come from Zope 3
>> and
>> expect certain semantics from IAdding.
>
> I think it is consensus that we don't want a solution that is based on
> IAdding or an other view called '+'.
>
> The example http://www.example.org/guestbook/+Message has nothing to do
> with that

Ah! Sorry, I saw a / that wasn't there. :)

It means to reserve names *starting* with '@@+' or '+' for
CMF add view names.
</quote.

The problem with this is that you won't use a traverser at all; each add
view has to subclass from something to get the right semantics. That's not
necessarily a problem, of course. For something like Dexterity we'll always
want a traverser because of the special defaults handling. For CMF types you
may not need them. The action in the FTI will decide the URL anyway, so I
think it's easy enough.

> The other possible solution (and the one with most spontaneous +1 votes)
> is a CMF specific add view with the generic name 'add'.

That'd be my preference, but I'm not religious about it.

Martin