[Zope-CMF] A Tale of Two Repositories

yuppie y.2015 at wcm-solutions.de
Fri May 15 12:11:13 CEST 2015

Hi Tres,

Tres Seaver wrote:
> The CMF projects are in this state because one of the main developers is
> unwilling to participate in the project if it moves entirely to
> Github[2], but is willing to continue if a proposal is in place to
> maintain a second public repository, against which his contributions
> would be made[3].  This proposal aims to satisfy that request by hosting
> the second, synchronized repository for each project using the new
> Launchpad Git hosting option[4].

thanks for working on this issue. I'm not very happy about the proposed
solution because it makes the GitHub repository the primary repository
and the canonical location for bug reports. But compromises never make
everybody happy.

I'm happy about your proposal because it looks like a practicable
solution everybody can live with.

> 1) Create a Git repository from its Subversion history, and push that
>    repository to Github;  this step will use the same scripts used for
>    other ZF repositories.  E.g., the branches, tags, and trunk for
>    ``Products.CMFCore`` will be hosted on Github at
>    https://github.com/zopefoundation/Products.CMFCore

There is one problem with the existing procedure: author information is
lost for contributers without GitHub account. I don't know if this is a
bug in the scripts or if the GitHub universe is a closed universe that
has no provisions for handling information about people existing outside.

Would be nice if this could be resolved. I consider it an unfriendly act
to remove my name from all my contributions just because I'm no customer
of GitHub Inc. And it makes history information less useful.

Please note https://github.com/zopefoundation/Products.GenericSetup
already exists, but is not in sync with the version in the Subversion
repository.

And please don't forget the dev buildouts in http://svn.zope.org/CMF/.

Cheers,

	Yuppie