[Zope-Coders] Zope 2.7 branch

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 12:09:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Ken Manheimer writes:
>  > The invoked script would be passed the version, with an entry
>  > something like:
>  >
>  > #DEFAULT ${CVSROOT}/CVSROOT/precommit_filter %V %s
>
> Of course, this is the crux of the problem.  The special formats that
> cause version information to be substituted are only supported for the
> loginfo scripts, not for commitinfo (or any of the others).

Suck-o.

>From the cvs manual section for commitinfo
(http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.6/cvs_18.html#SEC167):

  Note that both the repository directory and the corresponding Attic
  (see section 2.2.4 The attic) directory may need to be checked to
  locate the archive file corresponding to any given file being
  committed. Much of the information about the specific commit request
  being made, including the destination branch, commit message, and
  command line options specified, is not available to the command.

> So much for that idea.  I don't see another way to get the required
> information (we really need %{sVv} for each file).  Doing this at the
> loginfo stage is too late.

Game over, man.

I'm torn over deleting the tag.  I've done so more than a few times,
immediately after mis-creating a branch, and have never encountered a
problem.  The thing i fear is some hidden corruption that gradually
and insidiously destroys not just our repository but all of western
civilization (a small target, considering its oxymoronic nature).  I
don't think either is a real risk, though, so i'd be happy to make a
tarball of the repo and let someone delete the tag - if we care enough
to do so.

--
Ken
klm@zope.com