[Zope-DB] Oracle problems! Can anyone help!

Tim Bailey tdb@mcrane.co.uk
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:08:27 -0000

I have recently jumped in at the deep end and indulged myself in Zope after
it being dicussed with a work college.

The first pleasant surprise was that Zope was Python based and after only
learning Python several months ago was pleased not to have to learn
something else.

We use Oracle for our company's data and after compiling the original
DCOracle on a Windows PC to use with Python scripts, was happy and content.
I now have downloaded the ZOracleDA or DCOracle2 and after spending a few
days to get it working on Windows I am now trying to installing it on our
Linux 6.2 machine with Zope already up and running.

This is where my problems begin.

Oracle Server 8.1.6 is already installed and working fine.  I also have a
TNS setup to look on a Unix machine with Oracle installed and this works
fine too.  When I run the install.py to try and use the supplied binaries
this is the error I get:

[zadmin@mcllinux ZOracleDA]$ $ZOPE_HOME/bin/python install.py
Installing: binary release for Python 2.1
... test loading DCOracle2 ...
ERROR: DCOracle2 failed to load

The most likely reason DCOracle2 failed to load is a platform
binary mismatch between your version of Oracle and the
version of Oracle the pre-built binary was compiled against,
Oracle 8i.  You can either rebuild DCOracle2 from source, or
install Oracle 8i client libraries on your computer.  You
may be able to obtain Oracle client libraries at
http://technet.oracle.com

The python error message is:
exceptions.ImportError: libclntsh.so.8.0: cannot open shared object file: No
suc
h file or directory

I therefore assumed that I would need to build the dco2(.so) from scratch
and promptly delved into trying to use make.  This did not go to plan and
consequently it didn't work and returned the following:

[zadmin@mcllinux ZOracleDA]$ make
(cd src; \
./testora /usr/local/zope/2-4-3/bin )
/bin/sh: ./testora: No such file or directory
make: *** [.config] Error 126

I would really appreciate some help on this as Zope is definitely the way
forward but we need to get it fully functional on our Linux PC as the site
is getting bigger and my PC can't handle it!!

Regards,

a very frustrated

Tim Bailey

IT Department