[Zope-DB] Zope on Linux connecting to MS SQL Server

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 21:39:50 +0200

Godefroid Chapelle writes:
 > I have a customer which would like to access data in MS - SQL server from a
 > Zope server on Linux.
I use FreeTDS (<http://www.freetds.org>) for SQL server low level
access and SQLRelay (<http://www.firstworks.com>) and
the current Sybase DB-Api (--> search "comp.lang.python").

For SQLRelay experiences, please search the mailing list archive, where
I reported. I should say, that David has already fixed my main
problems and will release a new version of SQLRelay soon.

The Sybase DB-API implementation is easier to set up, use
and it is much faster than SQLRelay. However, it has
issues (documented in the FreeTDS documentation) with MS SQL server
providing the length for Text fields as 2 GB (therefore, you need
to set "TEXTSIZE"). Moreover, any SQL error is mapped to
a "Sybase error" without any more detail. As I sometimes make
SQL errors, I do not find this useful.

Dieter