[Zope-DB] Microsoft SQL Server

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Thu, 23 May 2002 07:18:05 -0500

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 06:13:35AM -0400, wade@lightlink.com wrote:
=2E..
| Is nybody else out there using Zope with SQL Server?

Yes.

| If so,  how are you connecting?

sql-relay and freetds.

| I haven't tried SQL Relay yet; it appears to have a fair number of
| moving parts,

It does, but it works well.  It isn't hard to set up at all either.
Of course, the zope and sql-relay servers are running Debian :-).

| so I wanted to go with tried-and-true mxODBC if possible.

| I am trying to introduce Zope to a company that has lots of Active
| Server Pages connecting to SQL Server.

Sounds like a good move!

| That seems like a fairly common setup, so it seems odd I haven't run
| into more info about using Zope in this context.

Common to who?  I wouldn't run stuff on windows.  I think many people
would only use *nix for server operations, and certainly there's a
higher percentage of Open Source fans who wouldn't use windows as a
server.  I think that is probbly why you haven't seen much about
connecting Zope on Windows with SQL Server on windows.  In our case
SQL Server is being used only because a certain commercial product we
have requires it, and that is the only thing it is used for.  All our
other services (mail, web, db, ldap, etc, etc) are on linux boxes.
=20
| -- Wade Leftwich
| Ithaca, NY

-D
originally from Greece, NY but now on co-op in Elgin, IL

--=20

Yes, Java is so bulletproofed that to a C programmer it feels like being in=
straightjacket, but it's a really comfy and warm straightjacket, and the wo=
rld
would be a safer place if everyone was straightjacketed most of the time.
                                                      -- Mark 'Kamikaze' Hu=
ghes
=20

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm