[Zope-DB] ANN: eGenix mxODBC Zope Database Adapter, Version 1.0.0

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 12:20:02 +0100

Paul Browning wrote:

> --On 28 February 2003 18:55 +0100 "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> wrote:
>
>> The mxODBC Zope DA implements thread-safe connection pooling and
>> multiple physical connects per logical Zope connection. You can safely
>> run Z SQL Methods in parallel, achieving a much better performance
>> than ZODBC Zope DA or similar Zope database adapters under heavy load.
>> This makes it ideal for deployment in Zope Clusters and Zope hosting
>> environments where stability and high performance are a top priority.

>> FEATURES
>>

> <List of features snipped>
>
> Can someone who has a deeper understanding of this area than
> I please contrast (ideally against the mxODBC Zope DA feature list)
> things with ZOracleDA/DCOracle2?
>
> The links from <http://www.egenix.com/> took me eventually to
> <http://www.datadirect-technologies.com/products/odbc/ken-north-report.asp>
> and the "Oracle ODBC Performance - Faster than Native" stuff.
>
>> From birth I've always been told ODBC is sloooowww .... don't go
>
> there. Might mxODBC Zope DA offer advantages to Zope/Oracle sites?
>
> We've had a tortured history with Zope+Oracle+Solaris (cf.
> <http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/solaris>) and are about to
> side-step this by going Zope+Oracle+Linux.
>
> But the Oracle bit (i.e. ZOracleDA/DCOracle2) of the equation still
> looks dubious from time to time and so hence my questions.

Whether Oracle/ODBC works out for you or not strongly depends
on the quality and reliability of the ODBC driver used to
talk to the database. I would always recommend one of the
commercial driver sets and suggest an evaluation phase before
deciding on which one to buy.

If you run into problems, we are there to help,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 03 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     29 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                       113 days left