[Zope-DB] Dynamically generate sql-query in ZSQL Method

Jim Abramson jabramson at wgen.net
Wed Apr 7 22:21:45 EDT 2004

Well, a couple posts ago, Matt Kromer provided an explanation
of why not to meddle directly with RDBMS commit/rollback, which
distills the issue far better than I could.  The
get_transaction() stuff, to me, is ZODB black magic - a can
of worms I've avoided opening for a year now, and have no
plans to get into at this point if I can help it.

I can fairly summarize my own experience like this...the app
I'm running at first needed only to do simple, one-shot database
writes, for which ZSQL was perfectly adequate.  Over time the
feature set and the database evolved enough that I needed to
implement actions involving several write ops, perhaps the
results of one being used as input for another, and so on.

What happened next is still kind of blurry, but i vaguely
remember something about doing 'COMMIT' and 'ROLLBACK' inside
ZSQL methods, and noticing that the results in the db were
coming out highly inconsistent...last thing I recall is our
DBA team inviting me for a meeting in a dark alley outside
the office...something about 'deadlock'...everything went
black...and I woke up later, badly bruised.

Since then I've been putting all the transactional stuff
inside oracle as stored procedures (wrapped in PRAGMA
AUTONOMOUS TRANSACTION to boot) and have had no further
problems along these lines.

Jim