[Zope-DB] Relational Databases in Zope 2 and Zope 3

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Mon Jun 28 08:09:06 EDT 2004

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Monday 28 June 2004 07:50, Charlie Clark wrote:
>
>>1) ZSQL - use property sheets and positional parameters. Personally I'd
>>like to drop DTML support in ZSQL altogether. Jim Fulton made the
>>suggestion that <dtml-sqlvar> parsing could be modified to return '?' and a
>>tuple element to preserve backwards compatability but we think this would
>>no longer be necessary. It might, however, be worthwhile to have something
>>like ZPT for ZSQL to encourage reuse and embedding in applications.
>

> I disagree that ZPT would be a better choice, since it requires well-formed
> XML and is slower. I think DTML tags are still the way to go, but we should
> try to drop the "dtml-" prefix.
>
> Also, we can switch to DTML 2, once it is done.

I think you are missing Charlie's point, which is that letting the Zope
application do variable interpoloation into the SQL string is a huge
performance hit, given a backend which knows about "prepared" SQL
statements.  The work he mentioned earlier was precisely on such
statements (from my reading, anyway).  He wrote "something like ZPT",
which I took to mean "a more constrained templating language buillt
around SQL".

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com