[Zope-DB] Relational Databases in Zope 2 and Zope 3

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 05:13:31 EDT 2004

Charlie Clark wrote:
> improvements over query strings on non-cached transactions. This proof of
> concept requires changes to Zope core

What changes were required?

> 1) ZSQL - use property sheets and positional parameters.

I don't understand this. Can you elaborate?

> Personally I'd like
> to drop DTML support in ZSQL altogether.

I think you need SOME language to template SQL...

> Jim Fulton made the suggestion that
> <dtml-sqlvar> parsing could be modified to return '?' and a tuple element to
> preserve backwards compatability but we think this would no longer be
> necessary. It might, however, be worthwhile to have something like ZPT for
> ZSQL to encourage reuse and embedding in applications.

...but I'd like this to be ZPT, sadly other people poo-poo the idea every time I
mention it :-s

> 2) DA / Zope integration. It is probably possible to interact directly with
> Transactional and drop most of the current ZRDB source passing the
> responsiblity of quoting to the driver. This would reduce the Zope codebase
> to be maintained, simplify DA development and improve performance.

Sounds good to me...

> 3) Improve usability. It seems quite clear that despite the advantages of
> ZODB there are many people who need to access existing RDBMs and while this
> is very easy in Zope it is important to encourage and support best
> "relational" practice with the right tools and documentation.

What do you mean by this? Do you have some examples?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk