[Zope-DB] How to connect to DB2 on the iSeries via Zope from Windows 2000 or XP

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Thu Jan 20 11:42:50 EST 2005

On 2005-01-20 at 16:35:22 [+0100], "Breuer, Yvon" <YBreuer at tee.toshiba.de>
wrote:
> Thank you Charlie for replying, but I generally prefer completely free
> (non-commercial) products. Besides of that I assume that a specific ZDB2DA
> will be faster than any ZODBCDA. (Convince me if that assumption is wrong.)
> And if I have to chose for ODBC in the end, I'm sorry but then there are
> other non-commercial DA's available which I would like to give a try first.

Of course. However, you should check the documentation carefully of the other
products. Our ZopeDA is free to evaluate and you might want to consider how
long it will take to look for and test other products when assessing cost.

There is no reason why a native connection will be faster than ODBC. There
might be slight differences in connection times but implementation issues
such as memory allocation, type conversion, etc. are likely to be more
important.

> About cygwin:
> Installing cygwin does indeed not sound like a 'neat' solution. ;-)
>
> About the C++ compiler:
> I have no C++ compiler available. And even then, how should I compile it?
> I'm not familiar with C++.
>
> It wonders me that it seems to be so complicated. When I search over the
> internet for an answer I can find quite some similar questions from others
> but no good answer so far. I just can't believe it hasn't been done before
> from Windows 2000 or XP.
>
> More help is appreciated. :-)

I think the combination of Zope + DB2 + MS Windows is indeed very unusual. It
is the first time it has come up on this list as far as I know. There are not
a lot of *good* native Python drivers for databases and even fewer ZopeDAs
based on these drivers.

Good luck.

Charlie