[Zope-DB] Closing idle DCoracle2 Connections?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 11:27:27 EDT 2005

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Usually, there is not need for a sophisticated connection
> management. Just do not create unnecessary DA instances.

Yes, this is the most common mistake...

> Bugs should be fixed and not worked around with more complex
> software (complex connection management).

Well, it depends, there can be a need for lots of infrequently used DA's
connecting to the same database. Having these be able to share
connections can be useful.

>>I know that I wouldn't want the connection being closed from Oracles
>>side as I have read in the mailinglist that DCOracle would still think
>>the connection is open and generate an error.
>
> The DA catches OperationalErrors and reopens the connection.
> It tries to do this transparently (though a bit wrong).

Well, it doesn't succeed for "Not Connected" and several other salient
Oracle errors.

FWIW, if people can, I'd recommend moving to cxOracle. There's more life
there now :-(

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk