[Zope-DB] Please help me about driver adapter

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Sat Feb 17 09:41:05 EST 2007

Am 17.02.2007, 13:52 Uhr, schrieb Robert-Reinder Nederhoed
<r.r.nederhoed at gmail.com>:

> Dear Nguyen,
> For as far as I know, mxODBC is free to use in a non-commercial
> environment.
> So you can freely use it for your research or graduation project. Once
> your
> school adopts your application, they can licence mxODBC.

This is not correct. Only the Python mxODBC driver which is part of the
mxCommercial package is free for non-commerical use. However, due to
persistent abuse (we sell less than one licence for every thousand
downloads) we are reviewing this policy for future releases.

> So for you, it seems to be legally free after all

No (but then neither is MS SQL), but we have issued Minh Quang with an
evaluation licence and are prepared to extend evaluation periods providing
we are given full details.

BTW. a lot of people seem to be using mxODBC together with Oracle and
Oracle's Instant Client driver. Unfortunately if our support requests are
anything to go by the Instant Client driver seems to crash a lot.

Charlie