[Zope-DB] Process one PloneFormGen request into many SQL tables

Dennis Schulz d.schulz81 at gmx.net
Fri Jan 19 12:05:45 EST 2007

Hi Paul,

Ok to tell you honestly the truth, as a beginner you should try to leave
your fingers of zope 3 /alchemist.
The learning curve is steep.
You will have to learn about Zope 3 widgets, schemas, interfaces,
adapters....
You have to know how to configure the mapper, have to know how to handle
the mapped objects....
And there is a lot of automatic machinery in the background going on
such as automatic interface generation, formlib machinery etc. you have
to be aware of.

I am currently writing my final project about it and to figure out all
this it took me a lot of time....

Unfortunately I dont have much experience with Archetypes Widgets or
PloneFormGen so I can't really help you.

But what you could certainly do is to write a zope 2 filesystem product
that uses archetypes widgets.
I personally prefer not to use zsql methods since they include very
special DTML systax and variables and stuff you dont need anywhere else.
You can also query the database adapter directly when you have a product.
Here an example: (conn is the db connection)
            sql  = "select max(a.idAmendment) as last_id from
cyc_Amendments a"
            resultset = conn.manage_test(sql)
            result = int(resultset[0][0])

Or learn how to use SQLAlchemy, it really is a usefull toolkit you can
also use standalone.

Dennis