[Zope-DB] Re: Zope hungs: mxODBC + Progress ODBC on Windows

Pawel Lewicki lewicki at provider.pl
Mon Jan 22 07:00:05 EST 2007

Charlie Clark napisał(a):
> Am 22.01.2007, 11:54 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki at provider.pl>:
>
>> Charlie Clark napisał(a):
>> Am 22.01.2007, 11:24 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki at provider.pl>:
>>  Hi,
>>> I'm using a configuration from the subject. It's quite an old Zope
>>> 2.7 instance without prospects of upgrade because of dependencies.
>>> Problem is with ODBC broker timeouts. When query takes too much time
>>> the connection breaks and Zope hangs. I suspect that ODBC client
>>> hangs and binds mxODBC binaries.
>>> I have the same problem when ODBC client is badly configured and I
>>> restart Zope with open connection.
>>> What would be the best option to free Zope from hung process?
>>> Additional layer like ODBC-ODBC bridge if available?
>
>> Can you provide more detailed information about your setup? ie. which
>> combination of driver and bridge on which platforms you're using?
>
>>  Progress 9.1 + OpenLink ODBC broker(5.1) on Solaris 32 Bit Sun Sparc
>> Openlink ODBC client + Zope2.7 on Windows XP
>
> That is an interesting combination! Have you been in touch with Openlink
> at all? The mxODBC Zope DA is pretty resilient but will, of course, have
> problems if the driver it is talking to times out or freezes. How many
> connections have you got running? mxODBC should be able to open an
> additional connection if necessary and possible. I think it is essential
> to find out what is causing the queries to timeout.
>
> Charlie

I know what's causing timeouts :) I can't help it now. Increasing
connection number doesn't help. I don't blame mxODBC as it is a great
product.
I just wonder if anyone had similar problems with any ODBC client. Maybe
there is a way to bind mxODBC another way or use additional non-breaking
layer.

Pawel Lewicki