[Zope-DB] Unified DA for Zope 2 using SQLAlchemy?

Maciej Wisniowski maciej.wisniowski at coig.katowice.pl
Mon Mar 26 02:55:16 EDT 2007

>> Now (in Zope2) we have things like ZOracleDA (DCOracle2), ZPsycopgDA
>> etc. that are adapters to these specific databases. They're based on
>> Shared/DC/ZRDB/.
>> In Zope3 there are also such adapters eg. one using cx_Oracle. They're
>> based on Zope3 rdb module.
>>
>> What do you mean by 'replacing' them? You want wrapper build for
>> z3c.* to be used instead of ZRDB (rdb)?
>>
>> You're talking about Zope2 or Zope3 too?
>
> The subject says Zope 2:-)
A... yes I've missed that :)

So does your proposal is that the only support for RDBMS
in zope 2.x should be via ORM like adapter?
Or this should be something additional to current ZRDB, or
you want to change (simplify?) ZRDB to be similiar to
these z3c wrappers (zope transaction handling, connection pooling etc)?

If you say about going into ORM adapters then few things
I wonder about are calling specific (complicated) queries
and/or stored procedures from databases. How does SQLAlchemy
support this? Another thing, what about speed of ORMs in
comparision to traditional queries with ZSQLMethods?

--
Maciej Wisniowski