[Zope-dev] Zope 2.0.0a4. ZODB3 questions.

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:40:10 -0400

Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Some questions:
> -) Is ZODB3 really usuable with 2.0.0a4?

Yes.

>    I don't mean production quality,
>    but good enough for developement quality, meaning that one can develop
>    already websites with it.

Yup.  Note that 2.0.0a4 was the last (2.0) release to support ZODB 2
(aka BoboPOS).  2.0 beta 1 will only support ZODB 3. Of course,
there is a utility for converting ZODB 2 to ZODB 3.

> -) What is the API for multithreaded db access: Is
>    SomeFolder.attr=PersistentObject()
>    enough, or are there some trapdoors hidden?

The multi-threaded db access should be completely transparent
unless you try to do something really tricky.  Basically, to use
ZODB 3, you have to get a database connection and only one thread
is allowed to access a connection at one time. The creation of database
connections and the management of threads is done by the infrastructure.
Application code should not require any change.

(For nitty-gritty details on ZODB 3, see
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Models/ZODB.)

> -) What about the DAs?

See the status post by Chris Petrilli and my response.

Jim

repeats.