[Zope-dev] Suggestion: Full name attribute for user objects

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:57:40 +0200

It would be very cool if user objects (that is to say User.BasicUser)
could have a "fullname"-type attribute. This would also fit well in with
other authentication schemes such as Windows NT, where users have a full
name in addition to a login name.

While I know I can name my users "John Doe" instead of "john" or
"johnd", that's a pain for my users to enter in the login box -- think
about those who have long names or middle initials. On the other hand,
things like "john" isn't descriptive enough when we need a display name;
for example, consider a simple document management system, where you
define system users in an acl_user folder and tie the user name to
documents' "owner" and "author" properties. In such cases display names
would be very handy. Sure, I can create a TinyTable for looking up
display names, but this isn't half as elegant or flexible.

I don't think the addition of such an attribute would break any code,
either.

If nobody minds this little addition, I can probably devise a patch
myself.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"`Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.'"