[Zope-dev] Making Zope international

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:50:56 +0200

Thilo Mezger wrote:
[snip internationalisation problems with money and time]

I'd like to add translation to this; it'd be nice if there was a
facility in Zope to get the same text in multiple languages in a
consistent way. I imagine using acquisition could be of service here.
For instance:

http://localhost/foo

Displays 'foo' in the default language.

http://localhost/English/foo

Tries to display 'foo' in English, if possible, otherwise displays
'sorry, can't translate'.

http://localhost/Nederlands/foo

Tries to display 'foo' in Dutch, if possible, otherwise displays 'sorry,
kan niet vertalen'.

Is this feasible? You'd need some consistent way to store HTML in more
than a single language; perhaps a MultiLingualDTMLDocument, or something
like that?

> therefore, i'd like to suggest the creating of ZIP - the
>
>         ZOPE INTERNATIONALIZATION PROJECT

Cool! :) I'm interested, though I don't know how much input I can give
given lack of time. I'll join any mailing list on this that's opened,
though.

Regards,

Martijn