[Zope-dev] Making Zope international

Brian Hooper brian@garage.co.jp
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:29:01 +0900

I'm interested a lot in this topic too - I think that if we could
agree on a feasible and sensible approach, then a lot of the
infrastructure could be shared and reused for any language that anyone
cared to provide support for... maybe a way of tie-ing mapping
dictionaries to arbitrary objects, and then some conventions for naming
the various messages... if we decided on the right implementation then
automatic content negotiation could be easy to implement, too!

(I am personally interested in Japanese...)

A combination of server settings (environment variables, maybe a Control
Panel widget or Locale object) and the desired HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET could
be used to decide what language to use.  I'm not sure what the cleanest
way to do this would be... there are a *lot* of english string literals
everywhere in the code right now, so internationalisation would involve
at the very least adding one extra level of indirection everywhere those
string literals are being used... but I think this could be really good
in the long run.

Anyways, I'm pretty interested in the ZIP too, if it starts up!

--Brian