[Zope-dev] Features / Demos want

Sin Hang Kin kentsin@poboxes.com
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:57:31 +0800

Chris,

> This is trivial to do, or are you complaining that you just don't know
> how?  One of the neat things is to look at the DTML behind zope.org.  I
> use TinyTables to control the side-bars, but certainly you could do it
> in other ways.
Yes! I have check the zope / . I press on the DTML tag and got:

DTML Source for /

                         <!--#var standard_html_header-->
                         <h1><!--#var document_title--></h1>

                         <h2>Welcome to the Zope Web Site.</h2>

NO. I do not see how you did it.

The point is that zope is aimed for programmer who somehow got insider
information somewhere. For a normal user, I do not think they can figure out
how to use it.

I hope there will be lots of information/demo codes that tell a new user all
the normal tricks they need to do. Of cause, I really love to see how you
make the menu.

> 3. News page generation. With automatic expire by designated date.

Same here.

> 4. Ad banner insertation and billing management.

Can you say political hotbutton :-)

> 9. Access to meta information inside the page: time-last-modify, author,
> last-visit-time, version, visit-counter, meta-tags.

> Well, here's the problem... what's a pagee? ;-) How do you decide "last
>modified" and author when a page can be constructed of objects that have
>dozens of other objects inside them?  What's a "visit counter" in this
> context?

Well, I found out that many times when I read the list archive. However, for
me I think there are pages concept from the user(browser) point of view.
To name it. it either is a document, a folder, a method call which have a
url (unique?) on top of the browser. That url define a page to the user's
point of view. Since it is not static and can contain many objects which
means that we need to define some rules: For example, the author can just be
the user who update that object (the one invoked by the url). The last
update can be defined as the last update of that object or the last date all
objects involved in rendering this page (which may be hard to get) or
defined as an attribute which will be updated by the zope (when an object is
update).

> 10. Support Spiders
> What do you mean by this?

Since zope is dynamic, I guess that it does not work very well with spiders:
I heard from the list that it is not easy to generate all pages by using a
robot to travel it.

> 12. A better WYSIWYG authoring tool.

>On what platform?  I don't own a Windows box, Mac and UNIX only... this
>will be fixed with WebDAV in my opinion, and it isn't the job of Zope to
>push it's own proprietary solution.

I know that Netscape communicator and frontpage express can be used for
publish pages to zope. However, under the current dtml syntax, I can not
modify them to insert zope code into the pages.

Rgs,

Kent Sin