[Zope-dev] pickling limitation in external methods?

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Wed, 05 May 1999 14:24:48 -0400

Wolf Logan wrote:

> ok. i patched ExternalMethod sufficiently to see the error message, and i
> was able to track the problem. it's another name collision.

Cool.

> the mxDateTime package uses a module named DateTime. so does ZOPE. when my
> code tries to unpickle the mxDateTime objects, it tries to use the
> definitions in the ZOPE DateTime module, and fails.
>
> i know this was a problem with PIL as well. was there ever an "official"
> workaround?

I don't know how official it is, bt you could create an mxDateTime
package (as in Python package) and put it's DateTime module in
their.  Then, the mxDateTime DateTime class will get pickled
as "mxDateTime.DateTime.DateTime", rather than as
"DateTime.DateTime". This might require some tweeks to the
mxDateTime registration code.

In the long-run, I intend to move all of the Zope
packages into a single Zope package, so there
aill be only one name, "Zope" added to the path.
This will be some time off though.

Jim

repeats.