[Zope-dev] ANNOUNCE: COMObject 1.0.1

Amos Latteier Amos@digicool.com
Thu, 13 May 1999 16:48:30 -0400

Hello:

I'm happy to announce a new unsupported Zope Product, COMObject. I
quickly hacked together this Product to demonstrate how COM can be used
with Zope.

http://www.zope.org/Download/Prereleases/COMObject

Here's an example from the README.txt which gives the flavor of what you
can do with this Product:

  Suppose you have a COM Object named 'word'
  whose COM Object Dispatch Name is 'Word.Application'
  You can use this COM Object like so:

    <!--#in expr="word().RecentFiles"-->
    <!--#var Name--><br>
    <!--#/in-->

COMObject requires:

  * Zope 1.11.0pr1 or later (running on win32)
  * Python Windows extensions
  * Some understanding of using COM from Python

See the README.txt for more information.

If you haven't used COM from Python before, then this Product is not for
you.

This Product is *not supported*. It is simply a proof of concept showing
one way to use COM and Zope together. I'm happy to accept patches, and
answer questions as time permits, but maintaining this Product is
definitely a very low priority.

If someone who knows COM well would like to take over this Product (or
even just take it as an example, and rewrite the darned thing) I'd be
quite happy to cede ownership of it, hint hint ;-)

Right now the Product is fairly limited, it's just basically sugar for
win32com.client.Dispatch(). I have ideas about how to evolve it, for
example, COM Method objects could be added to make access to an object's
methods easier and perhaps to wrap results like SQL Methods do. This
could also provide finer grained security...

Let me know if you find it useful. And don't forget to have fun!

-Amos

--
Amos Latteier         mailto:amos@digicool.com
Digital Creations     http://www.digicool.com