[Zope-dev] Corrupted database, ZopeHTTPServer won't start

Martin Dougiamas martin@dougiamas.com
Wed, 26 May 1999 23:22:36 +0800

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Martin Dougiamas wrote:
> >
> > Oh no!
> >
> > My 1.10.2 Zope server (Redhat 6.0) had to be hard-booted (keyboard lockup)
> > and so the Zope server never got a chance to close nicely.
>
> Hm.  This should not matter.

My machine has been up and down quite a bit with new hardware
upgrades, overclocking etc etc, and Zope has never had a
single problem through any of it up to now.   So perhaps
it was something else.  The only other thing I did today
was turn on DMA for my hard drive, with:

    hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

> > Now I can't start ZopeHTTPServer at all!   :-(
> >
> > var/serve.errors contains just this:
> (snip)
> > DatabaseError: Corrupted data record at 3111549
> >
> > What can I do?   I need to get that data back.
>
> For starters:
>
>   Make a backup copy of the data files:
>
>      tar czf data.tgz var/Data.*
>
>   (Please send me this tar ball in a private email.)
>
>   Truncate the data file at the indicated position.
>   Zope should then start just fine.

Thanks, Jim - that worked great!  Yay!  Up and running fine.

Didn't lose much at all (about 400 bytes I think)

I'll send you the 600k tarball separately.

Cheers and thanks again for the prompt fix,
Martin
--
### Martin Dougiamas -- Internet Agent     "...The Eighties,
### Centre for Educational Advancement         the Nineties,