[Zope-dev] Storing changes in ZODB, without keeping old versions

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 09:33:40 +0100

At 09:05 PM 11/25/99 , Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
>The ZCache Product I created has one major problem - every time it updates
>itself it'll make the ZODB grow, since it stores all the old contents it
>had.  I don't want this to happen - there's no reason why anyone should undo
>a change to the cache.  I do however want the contents of the ZCache to be
>stored on disk when it gets moved out of the Zope cache, so I don't want to
>use volatile variables.
>
>Is there any way to do this?  Or is it impossible?

Why would you want the cache to be persistent? The data is already
elsewhere in the ZODB, and the usual behaviour of a cache is to not persist
over reboots.

The ZODB at this moment doesn't support mixed FileStorages, which would be
the way to store both versioned and non-versioned persistent objects.
You'll have to make your own storage in the var directory.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer