[Zope-dev] XMLRPCMethod product

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:28:43 +0200

At 20:41 26/10/99 , Andrew M. Kuchling wrote:
>You could make updating server URLs easier by doing something similar
>to DAs and SQLMethods, having XMLRPCMethods use a given XMLRPCServer
>object, just as SQLMethods use a given database object.  This strikes
>me as over-engineering the problem, though, resulting in two new
>object types, and is still rather inflexible.

Maybe what I do with Z Network Clients is of interest. They act as local
placeholders for remote Searchable Zope objects (like Z SQL Methods).

- They each have their own URL, although maybe in the future I'll add
acquisition of a base URL or something.
- They enforce the calling parameters, like Z SQL Methods do. You have to
declare them beforehand, and the namespace and the REQUEST object are
searched for them.
- Caching is done the same way as Z SQL Methods, keyed on arguments given.
- You can use traversal and direct traversal on them (again, just like Z
SQL Methods, http://an.example/Search/id/1234/name/Martijn/displayMethod).

In all respects Z Network Clients sing, dance, and act just like Z SQL
Methods, except that their data doesn't come from a local DA object, but
from a remote Searchable Object (you need a Z Network Enabler to make those
objects available). Apart from Z SQL Methods, you can also query ZCatalog
objects, ZTables, and Confera topics this way.

Maybe your XML-RPC methods could work the same. If you make them stick to
the Searchable Object interface, then you can also use them with the Z
Network objects.. =).

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer