[Zope-dev] Y'all asleep in here?

Nick Garcia ngarcia@codeit.com
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Michel Pelletier wrote:

> TextIndexes can then reference (or acquire) a vocabular object through
> which it can stop, syn, stem and store words in it's lexicon.  There are
> many other issues like sharing lexicons between similar language
> indexes, and having multiple back-end 'index/vocabularies' that all look
> like one index, so you can search a 'document source' for either
> 'community' or 'communauté' or 'Gemeinschaft' and get only documents
> relevant to that language (my applogies if these words are wrong, I'm
> using babelfish).  I think this problem could be intractable though, if
> you searched for 'walking' in english, the word would stem down into
> 'walk', if you search for 'marche' en francais, should it stem down to
> 'promenade'?

I'm not sure the example give here is correct.  If you wanted to search
for the equivalent of 'walking' in French, it would be 'marchand', the
stem of which is 'march'.  The correct conjugation of the verb is:

marcher (to walk)
je marche (I walk)
tu marches (you walk)
il/elle marche (he/she/it walks)
nous marchons (we walk)
vous marchez (you walk)

So, at least for this verb, there is a common stem.  'Promenade' is
actually a noun, not a verb AFAIK.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a verb that would break this
pattern, but it's been a while since I've studied French.

Nick Garcia | ngarcia@codeit.com
CodeIt Computing | http://codeit.com