[Zope-dev] Y'all asleep in here?

Dody Gunawinata dody_g@eles.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:43:05 +1000

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Michel Pelletier wrote:

> TextIndexes can then reference (or acquire) a vocabular object through
> which it can stop, syn, stem and store words in it's lexicon.  There ar=

> many other issues like sharing lexicons between similar language
> indexes, and having multiple back-end 'index/vocabularies' that all loo=

> like one index, so you can search a 'document source' for either
> 'community' or 'communaut=E9' or 'Gemeinschaft' and get only documents
> relevant to that language (my applogies if these words are wrong, I'm
> using babelfish).  I think this problem could be intractable though, if
> you searched for 'walking' in english, the word would stem down into
> 'walk', if you search for 'marche' en francais, should it stem down to
> 'promenade'?

>I'm not sure the example give here is correct.  If you wanted to search
>for the equivalent of 'walking' in French, it would be 'marchand', the
>stem of which is 'march'.  The correct conjugation of the verb is:

>marcher (to walk)
>je marche (I walk)
>tu marches (you walk)
>il/elle marche (he/she/it walks)
>nous marchons (we walk)
>vous marchez (you walk)

Just to add fuel to the flame..In Italian, there is a set of verbs that
is under Irregular verbs.
So you got this type of 'irregularites'

andare (to go)

Io  vado (I go)
Tu  vai  (you go)
Lui/Lei va   (he/she/it goes)
Noi  andiamo (we go)
Voi  andate  (you (plu) go)
Loro andanno (they walk)

So the stem word is not exactly precise. (va ?) (and ?). I belive
Spanish would have this kind
of verbs as well.

Off course this kind of word aren't many compared to the rest of verb
structure in the Italian language.

dody
italy