[Zope-dev] using the monitor - anyone have any tips???

Damian Morton morton@dennisinter.com
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:04:06 -0500

> On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Damian Morton wrote:
>
> > I can quite happily traverse the object and its inheritance tree using
> > obj.__dict__ and obj.__class__.__dict__ and obj.__class__.__bases__ and
> > such, but there seem to be a whole bunch of attributes and
> methods available
> > for objects that I can only guess at. I assume they are
> acquired rather than
> > inherited. Not being really familiar with acquisition (even
> after reading
> > all the available docs), any tips on how best to traverse the
> acquisition
> > path on my search for attributes and methods would be greatly
> appreciated.

> From: Jeff K. Hoffman [mailto:jeff.hoffman@goingv.com]
>
> It is very hard to come at Zope and say, "Show me all of the possible
> methods I could apply on this object through acquisition." It is quite
> easy, though, to say, "Can I call this method on this object, through
> natural means or through acquisition?"

Hmm, I find myself wanting learn as much as possible. When Im looking at a
given object, I can learn heaps by examining all of the methods related to
the object. Thats the power of object-orientation. Being able to take a stab
at a method name, and then asking how to apply it to my object seems very
weird to me, especially given my meagre knowlege of the possible methods.
For a beginer, the options need to be laid out and explored, that how I like
to learn. Im really not sure how to approach learning Zope given the current
state of the documentation, and the seeming impossibility of the object
browser I seek. Am I missing something? (othe than a complete mastery of the
subject)