[Zope-dev] Zope Futures discussion: your input

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 12:54:49 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Paul Everitt wrote:

> Here's an interesting datapoint from the Zope Track this week.  I asked
> a show of hands on two questions:
>
> 1) Who here didn't know Python before Zope?
>
> 2) Who found Zope within the last three months?
>
> On both cases, almost half the hands went up.  IMO, Zope has an
> opportunity to be meaningful to non-programmers, and more importantly,
> has an opportunity for programmers to turn meaning (read: Zope Products)
> over to non-programmers.

It would have been even more interesting if you had also asked
'Who didn't know CGI, PHP, Java or ASP programming before Zope'.
The gut feel *I* have about Zope is it caters mainly for people
who got sick of PHP, CGI, Java or ASP (don't know about CF or Notes),
or felt that it all could be done better.

It would also be interesting to find out who prefers:
    a) Getting a document template from a designer and adding in the dynamic
       information
    b) Creating an object for a designer to use

I suppose it depends on how clueful your designers are... its not fun
doing b when your first have to quiz the designer on what they want,
implement it, show them how to use it, fix their bugs, and then starting
over again when it turns out the first step was a total balls up :-(

Maybe I've worked in a University for too long...

--
 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au