[Zope-dev] Better user management: Usership vs. Membership

Michael Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 07:00:25 -0700

Jonas Juselius wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had a look at the Membership product, but I could not get it to work. It
> seems that the PortalMember ZClass in the PortalMembership Product inherits
> from _ZClass_for_LoginUser, which is no longer in the LoginManager...

Were you trying to use Membership with a CVS verson of
LoginManager? Membership 0.7.6 works with LM 0.8.7a and
ZPatterns 0.4.1snap1.

> But
> actually I don't care... I tried to contact Bill about the Membership Prod,
> but he seems to be unreachable because his mail address doesn't work.

Bill just got married, was in the middle of changing network
providers, and his old provider screwed up their IP
addressing (on his wedding day). He says that he'll be back
up Thursday or Friday.

> I found many nice ideas in the Membership product, and I think it would really
> be a good idea to develop it further. Does anybody know about any recent
> developments or what the current status is? Is there going to be a new
> release soon, is anyone even working on the Membership product?

Bill is currently working on re-integrating Membership with
the PTK. I recently found a way of integrating Membership+LM
with the local roles interface. I also modified my copy of
Membership to authenticate off of an NT PDC via SMB from a
Solaris box.

Most LoginManager and Membership discussion happens on the
Zope-PTK mailing list, not Zope-Dev.

Cheers,

Michael Bernstein.