[Zope-dev] HiperDOM & xmlc

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 16:07:18 -0400

lalo@hackandroll.org wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 03:17:00PM -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > This has been one of the points of discussion here at DC.  The only
> > reasonable solution we've come up with is automatically wrapping the
> > results of the rendering in an acquired object with a fixed name such as
> > standard_page_template.
>
> I don't like fixed names :-) what if I don't want to wrap a
> particular template?

I don't like fixed names either.  They can lead to bad design.  That's
why we're still looking for a better solution.

> One sollution that could possibly work:
> (snip)

We think alike.  A few of us tried to present this very solution (with a
different spelling) to several people here at DC.  They found it quite
confusing.  I honestly don't know why. :-/

But assuming someone can properly document this without making heads
hurt and without sounding alarms in the minds of OO folks, maybe the
right solution is an optional attribute on the opening tag that
specifies the wrapping template.  If not specified, it would default to
"standard_page_template".

Of course, the name of the default wrapping template could always be
overridden by the document class.  Instances of 'NewsDocument', for
example, might use "standard_news_template".

Shane