[Zope-dev] Signal 11 restarts: I blame py_malloc

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 19:36:29 +0100

Andy Dustman wrote:
 > Folks, I have seen this too, and apparently it is not just Zope.
 > Someone wrote to me awhile back saying the MySQLdb-0.9.0 would dump
 >  core with Python-2.1.1 when compiled with the new py_malloc code
 > turned on. I was able to reproduce this but not isolate the
 > problem, except that it occurred during PyObject_GetItem().

Well, I recompiled Python 2.1.1 with py_malloc turned off. Then I
recompiled Zope and ZPatterns. (I don't know whether I really needed to
recompile Zope and ZPatterns.)

Result: no signal 11 crashes in 36 hours. I was getting one at least
every couple of hours before, often more frequently, depending on the
system load. Zope is now back to it usual stable self.

Thanks for the information, Andy. Also thanks to everyone else who
offered advice on this.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer