[Zope-dev] New UI for 2.3

Michael Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:05:29 -0800

Brian Lloyd wrote:

> make a 32 pixel-high concession to a small pittance of
> branding?
>
> The top frame is also a place where we might want to put
> more
> "placeless" operations like logout in the future. You can
> only
> jam so much into the tree pane without it looking very much
> like way too much is being jammed into the tree pane :)

I think that the top pane contents should be put into the
top of the tree pane. In either case, you are pushing the
tree pane contents down 32 px, but by putting the logo et al
in the tree frame, you will at least not be sacrificing the
top 32 px of the main frame.

As far as the 'branding' issue is concerned, I do not
begrudge DC and Zope the recognition they deserve, as long
as it doesn't get in the users way.

As an alternative to placing the 'branding' and 'placeless'
content into the tree frame directly, you might consider
splitting the tree frame instead. This would keep the logo
visible, but would no longer take up screen real estate from
the main frame.

Does DC do any usability testing on proposed UI changes?

HTH,

Michael Bernstein.