[Zope-dev] SAP DB <--> ZODB ?

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Fri, 09 Mar 2001 15:20:35 +0000

I just heard that the SAP DB has gone Free and Open Source.

----

  SAP DB is an open, SQL-based, relational database management system that
   provides high availability and performance scaling from small to very
large
   implementations.

  In addition, SAP DB goes beyond relational database technology by offering
object orientation as well as support for managing unstructured data. It
supports open standards including SQL, JDBC and ODBC; access from Perl and
Python; and HTTP-based services with HTML or XML content. SAP DB is platform
independent, so users can deploy it for a wide array of projects.

   Since 1994, the SAP e-Business Solution is available on SAP DB
technology.
Today  SAP DB is being used by nearly 800 customers.

  On October 5, 2000, at Linux World SAP DB was announced to be made
available
as Open Source software using the GNU General Public License for the
database
kernel and the GNU Lesser General Public License for clients and programming
interfaces.
----

http://freshmeat.net/projects/sapdb/

I'd never heard of SAP DB before, although I've heard of SAP.

This looks as if it would be good for a ZODB storage.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer