[Zope-dev] ZPatterns: External Attribute Provider question

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 17:04:39 -0500

At 07:48 PM 3/11/01 +0000, Steve Alexander wrote:

>Is there a good reason that ExternalAttributeProvider sets up a
>dictionary to put its attributes into, rather than a PersistentMapping?

It's mainly to avoid a proliferation of persistent objects, based on the
assumption that if you're using a PEAP, you probably don't have that much
else in the PersistentMapping.

>If an External Attribute Provider instead set up a new PersistentMapping
>in its slot, only that PersistentMapping would change in the ZODB on
>updates.
>
>Do you think this is a reasonable change for the External Attribute
>Provider class? Or, should I write my own provider, derived from
>External Attribute Provider, that uses a PersistentMapping instead of a
>dict?

I would suggest creating your own provider(s).